Decision Maker: Chief Operations Officer
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
· Not to proceed to contract with Hope CIC as an operator of a Homeless Health Hub service from St Stephen’s Church Hall and to close the current tender process.
· As per the Cabinet report of 9 March 2022 which stated the purchase of St Stephens Hall was conditional on the appointment of an operator the decision is taken not to proceed with the acquisition of the St Stephen’s Church Hall.
· To continue to progress discussions with Hope CIC partners on alternative ways forward for the effective delivery of the established Homelessness Multi-Disciplinary Team (MDT) and the potential opportunities for working in partnership, if Hope CIC secure a lease, from St Stephens Hall Trustees to operate from St Stephens Hall.
· A tender was launched in May 2022 to seek an operator for a Homelessness Health Hub at St Stephens Hall. One bid was received from Hope CIC. The minimum quality score was achieved by the bidder (50%). Following discussions with Hope CIC reassurance was not provided that the refurbishment of the building, including the completion of all identified works required to the property, could be delivered within the budget envelope or that alternative funding sources were secured or likely to be secured to deliver the building to the required standard. See Appendix 1 & 2 for correspondence to Hope CIC following the tender exercise.
· The Cabinet decision to purchase St Stephen’s Hall was conditional on securing an operator and therefore the Council is unable to proceed with the acquisition.
· On 7 September 2022 Cabinet agreed no new financial commitments would be made until such time as there is a balanced budget for 2023/24 other than with the specific agreement of the Chief Finance Officer in consultation with the Portfolio Holder for Finance.
· On 26 October 2022 Cabinet agreed that these expenditure controls remain in place to generate additional in-year savings.
· In September 2022 Hope CIC entered discussions with St Stephens Hall Trustees regarding a peppercorn full repair and maintenance lease for the building. These decisions are understood to be ongoing.
Publication date: 26/01/2023
Date of decision: 23/01/2023