Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
To inform Cabinet of the results and analysis
of our Gigabit Fibre Request for Information and to seek approval
to procure the selection of a Gigabit Fibre provider
RESOLVED that approval is given for the Smart Place Team, supported by Law and Governance and Strategic Procurement, to procure a Gigabit Fibre Neutral Host Operator.
Portfolio Holder: Development, Growth and Regeneration
1. Helps to deliver significant economic and social benefits to the area.
2. Helps to meet the Big Plan objective of BCP having the best connectivity in the country.
3. Supports the Council’s regeneration and place-shaping ambitions.
4. Supports the Council’s Smart Place programme.
5. Supports the government’s ‘Levelling Up’ missions particularly by helping to address the local ‘digital divide’ through more widely available and affordable broadband services.
6. Encourages wider private sector investment into Gigabit fibre infrastructure and creates more competition in the Internet Server Provider (ISP) market.
7. Is the most cost-effective solution for delivering the Council’s Gigabit connectivity objectives whist minimising the Council’s financial commitment and commercial risks.
8. Opens up the opportunity for income generation for existing ducting and fibre asset owners including the Council.
Report author: Adrian Hale
Publication date: 27/07/2022
Date of decision: 27/07/2022
Decided at meeting: 27/07/2022 - Cabinet
Effective from: 04/08/2022