Agenda, decisions and draft minutes

Cabinet - Wednesday, 25th May, 2022 10.00 am

Venue: Committee Suite, Civic Centre, Poole BH15 2RU. View directions

Contact: Sarah Culwick (01202 817615)  Email: democratic.services@bcpcouncil.gov.uk

Media

Items
No. Item

1.

Declarations of Interests

Councillors are requested to declare any interests on items included in this agenda. Please refer to the workflow on the preceding page for guidance.

Declarations received will be reported at the meeting.

Minutes:

There were no declarations of interest made on this occasion.

 

2.

Confirmation of Minutes pdf icon PDF 456 KB

To confirm and sign as a correct record the minutes of the Meeting held on 13 April 2022.

Minutes:

The Minutes of the Cabinet meeting held on 13 April 2022 were confirmed and signed as a correct record.

 

3.

Public Issues

To receive any public questions, statements or petitions submitted in accordance with the Constitution. Further information on the requirements for submitting these is available to view at the following link:-

https://democracy.bcpcouncil.gov.uk/ieListMeetings.aspx?CommitteeID=151&Info=1&bcr=1

The deadline for the submission of public questions is 4 clear working days before the meeting.

The deadline for the submission of a statement is midday the working day before the meeting.

The deadline for the submission of a petition is 10 working days before the meeting.

Minutes:

The Leader advised that there had been no questions, statements or petitions received from members of the public on this occasion.

4.

Recommendations from the Overview and Scrutiny Committees

To consider recommendations from the Overview and Scrutiny Board on items not otherwise included on the Cabinet Agenda.

Minutes:

Cabinet was advised that there were no additional recommendations from the Overview and Scrutiny Committees on items not otherwise indicated on the Cabinet Agenda on this occasion.

The Chairman of the Corporate and Community Overview and Scrutiny Committee addressed the Cabinet advising that at their recent meeting there had been a thorough debate on the Fly-Tipping and Fly-Posting Enforcement Pilot Review report.

Cabinet was advised that whilst there were no formal recommendations and the committee had supported the report several matters had been raised and responded to by the Portfolio Holder and officers, and that in relation to this the committee had questioned whether a further six months would be sufficient.

 

5.

Joint Archive Service - Revised Inter-Authority Agreement pdf icon PDF 200 KB

The Joint Archives Service (JAS) based at Dorset History Centre (DHC) in Dorchester is funded pro rata to population by Dorset Council and BCP Council.  The JAS has been governed since 1997 by a tripartite Inter-Authority Agreement (IAA) signed that year between Dorset County Council, Bournemouth Borough Council and Borough of Poole, the three first tier councils then operating in Dorset.  To allow continuity, the 1997 agreement was maintained through local government reorganisation in 2019.  Following a consultant-led review of the JAS which reported in February 2021 which gathered opinions from officers and councillors, it was agreed at a meeting of the Joint Archives Advisory Board in April 2021 that the governance of the JAS required updating.  This was in order to reflect both the new unitary council arrangements and the modern context in which the service operates.  The agreement in Appendix 1 is the outcome of that process.

 

Additional documents:

Decision:

RESOLVED that the revised Inter-Authority Agreement with Dorset Council over the provision of the Joint Archives Service be adopted.

Voting: Unanimous

Portfolio Holder: Culture and Vibrant Places

Reason

To enable appropriate political, financial and strategic oversight of the Joint Archive Service.

 

Minutes:

The Portfolio Holder for Culture and Vibrant Places presented a report, a copy of which had been circulated to each Member and a copy of which appears as Appendix 'A' to these Minutes in the Minute Book.

Cabinet was advised that the Joint Archives Service (JAS) based at Dorset History Centre (DHC) in Dorchester is funded pro rata to population by Dorset Council and BCP Council. 

In relation to this Cabinet was informed that the JAS has been governed since 1997 by a tripartite Inter-Authority Agreement (IAA) signed that year between Dorset County Council, Bournemouth Borough Council and Borough of Poole, the three first tier councils then operating in Dorset, to allow continuity, the 1997 agreement was maintained through local government reorganisation in 2019. 

Further to this Cabinet was advised that following a consultant-led review of the JAS which reported in February 2021 which gathered opinions from officers and councillors, it was agreed at a meeting of the Joint Archives Advisory Board in April 2021 that the governance of the JAS required updating, this was in order to reflect both the new unitary council arrangements and the modern context in which the service operates. 

Cabinet was informed that the agreement in Appendix 1 of the report is the outcome of that process.

Cabinet approval was therefore sought for the adoption of the revised Inter-Authority Agreement with Dorset Council.

RESOLVED that the revised Inter-Authority Agreement with Dorset Council over the provision of the Joint Archives Service be adopted.

Voting: Unanimous

Portfolio Holder: Culture and Vibrant Places

 

6.

Fly-tipping and Fly-Posting Enforcement Pilot Review pdf icon PDF 250 KB

On 26 May 2021 Cabinet considered the report Fly-tipping and Fly-posting Enforcement Pilot and resolved that:

(a) Cabinet approves the commencement of a 12-month pilot scheme to deploy a suitable qualified contractor to undertake investigations and prosecutions of fly-tipping and fly-posting incidents;

(b) Cabinet agrees to receive a further report following 6 months of this pilot, which will include recommendations for the future of this service; and

(c) Cabinet approves the levels of fines for relevant offences as per paragraph 10.

This report provides a review of the first 6 months of the pilot which, from September 2021 has been delivered by Waste Investigations Support and Enforcement Ltd (WISE), together with recommendations for the future of the service.  WISE have been contracted on a cost-neutral basis to investigate and enforce against offenders of fly-tipping and fly-posting and ensure businesses meet legal requirements to manage waste lawfully and responsibly.

Additional documents:

Decision:

RESOLVED that: -

(a)           Cabinet approves an extension to the fly-tipping and fly-posting pilot with WISE until November 2022, with additional emphasis on:

                        i.         effective and increased communications with public and businesses;

                      ii.         enhanced joint working with the Council’s Waste Compliance Officers;

                     iii.         consideration of learning from best practice in other Councils

(b)           A further Cabinet report be brought in November 2022 with recommendations for the service long-term.

Voting: Unanimous

Portfolio Holders: Community Safety and Regulatory Services

                             Council Priorities and Delivery

                             Environment and Place

Reason

Prior to this Pilot, the Council did not investigate all reports of fly-tipping and had limited data on the scale of the problem in the area.

The Pilot has delivered its original objectives to investigate all reports of fly-tipping and fly-posting, to take enforcement action where an offence has been committed and fundamentally supports the Council’s Cleaner, Greener, Safer campaign.

The initial pilot period presents too short a timescale for the data collected by WISE to date to fully illustrate the challenges these environmental crimes cause BCP Council. Extending the pilot will provide further understanding to help enable officers and Members make the best decision for how the service operates longer term.

A more effective communications campaign will help mitigate some of the adverse reactions by those found to have committed an offence and closer working with the Council’s Waste Compliance Officers will ensure better co-ordination of efforts and improve the public’s understanding of the impact that fly-tipping and fly-posting has on the environment.

Further time with the Pilot will enable officers to speak to other Councils who are exhibiting best practice with regards to deterrents against fly-tipping and other environmental crimes and this information and subsequent recommendations will be provided at the further Cabinet meeting in November 2022.

 

Minutes:

The Portfolio Holder for Community Safety and Regulatory Services presented a report, a copy of which had been circulated to each Member and a copy of which appears as Appendix 'B' to these Minutes in the Minute Book.

Cabinet was reminded that on 26 May 2021 Cabinet considered the report Fly-tipping and Flyposting Enforcement Pilot and resolved that:

(a)          Cabinet approves the commencement of a 12-month pilot scheme to deploy a suitable qualified contractor to undertake investigations and prosecutions of fly-tipping and fly-posting incidents;

(b)          Cabinet agrees to receive a further report following 6 months of this pilot, which will include recommendations for the future of this service; and

(c)          Cabinet approves the levels of fines for relevant offences as per paragraph 10.

In relation to this Cabinet was informed that this report provided a review of the first 6 months of the pilot which, from September 2021 has been delivered by Waste Investigations Support and Enforcement Ltd (WISE), together with recommendations for the future of the service.

Further to this Cabinet was advised that WISE have been contracted on a cost-neutral basis to investigate and enforce against offenders of fly-tipping and fly-posting and ensure businesses meet legal requirements to manage waste lawfully and responsibly.

Councillor Hadley addressed the Cabinet highlighting that the report was interesting and seeking clarification in terms of the longer-term plan and what the plan was beyond the six-month extension, whether we would then be looking for a further extension or to tender it out or bring it inhouse?

The Portfolio Holder advised that the six-month extension provided the opportunity to continue learning, particularly from other local authorities and to ensure any gaps can be filled and that the scheme fits with what we are trying to do.

In addition, Cabinet praised the work of officers and expressed thanks in recognition of the work which had been involved.

RESOLVED that: -

(a)           Cabinet approves an extension to the fly-tipping and fly-posting pilot with WISE until November 2022, with additional emphasis on:

                        i.         effective and increased communications with public and businesses;

                      ii.         enhanced joint working with the Council’s Waste Compliance Officers;

                     iii.         consideration of learning from best practice in other Councils

(b)           A further Cabinet report be brought in November 2022 with recommendations for the service long-term.

Voting: Unanimous

Portfolio Holders: Community Safety and Regulatory Services

                             Council Priorities and Delivery

                             Environment and Place

 

7.

Harbourside Park - Strategic infrastructure improvements to the sluice channel linking Poole Park and Poole Harbour. pdf icon PDF 493 KB

The report seeks the allocation of CIL funding to replace the sluice channel at Harbourside Park and upgrade the sluice gate in Poole Park. Due to poor and further declining asset condition, public access is now restricted to the shared path and vehicular access is prohibited, negatively impacting BCP operations. As time goes on the likelihood of catastrophic failure increases, posing a risk to users, lagoon operations and water levels, and dividing up the greenspace.

An options study has been undertaken. Two options with similar estimated construction costs for both options have been identified which subject to securing funding need to be narrowed to one preferred option in the detailed design stage for tendering and construction.

Working closely with Landscape Architects the project will consider the benefits of a carefully designed open channel that would provide a focal point of interest, against the merits of an enclosed channel. This will consider public access, impact on the landscape, maintenance requirements and overall cost to deliver.

This strategic infrastructure improvement extends the work of the heritage funded Poole Park life project, including a new bridge over the sluice channel North of the railway line, will develop in parallel with the forthcoming Harbourside Masterplan and is considered within the current segregated cycleway improvement works.

Also linking wider to the Poole Quay public realm improvements to rejuvenate Poole; these works are one of a series of strategic improvements significantly enhancing the quality of place in Poole.

The report asks that Cabinet recommend to Council allocating CIL funds to complete detailed design and construction to ensure the tight project delivery programme can be achieved, for two key reasons – to reduce the impact on the active travel fund works in 2023 and to carry out the work as soon as practicable to reduce the risk of failure of the sluice channel. The completed project will maintain a key asset for amenity and habitat in Poole Park and improve BCP operations.

Minutes:

The Leader presented a report, a copy of which had been circulated to each Member and a copy of which appears as Appendix 'C' to these Minutes in the Minute Book.

Cabinet was advised that the report sought the allocation of CIL funding to replace the sluice channel at Harbourside Park and upgrade the sluice gate in Poole Park, which due to poor and further declining asset condition, public access is now restricted to the shared path and vehicular access is prohibited, negatively impacting BCP operations.

In relation to this Cabinet was informed that as time goes on the likelihood of catastrophic failure increases, posing a risk to users, lagoon operations and water levels, and dividing up the greenspace.

Cabinet was advised that an options study has been undertaken, and that two options with similar estimated construction costs for both options have been identified which subject to securing funding need to be narrowed to one preferred option in the detailed design stage for tendering and construction.

Further to this Cabinet was advised that working closely with Landscape Architects the project will consider the benefits of a carefully designed open channel that would provide a focal point of interest, against the merits of an enclosed channel, and that this will consider public access, impact on the landscape, maintenance requirements and overall cost to deliver.

Cabinet was informed that this strategic infrastructure improvement extends the work of the heritage funded Poole Park life project, including a new bridge over the sluice channel North of the railway line, and will develop in parallel with the forthcoming Harbourside Masterplan and is considered within the current segregated cycleway improvement works.

Cabinet was further informed that this work would also link wider to the Poole Quay public realm improvements to rejuvenate Poole, and that these works are one of a series of strategic improvements significantly enhancing the quality of place in Poole.

Cabinet was advised that the report asks that Cabinet recommend to Council allocating CIL funds to complete detailed design and construction to ensure the tight project delivery programme can be achieved, for two key reasons – to reduce the impact on the active travel fund works in 2023 and to carry out the work as soon as practicable to reduce the risk of failure of the sluice channel, and that the completed project will maintain a key asset for amenity and habitat in Poole Park and improve BCP operations.

Councillor Hadley addressed the Cabinet advising that he welcomed the investment but highlighting the issues regards to the flooding at Keyhole bridge. Councillor Hadley acknowledged that this was an issue for Wessex Water but stressed the importance of the matter.

The Portfolio Holder for Sustainability and Transport acknowledged Councillor Hadleys concerns but stressed that the flooding was rainwater related and a matter for Wessex Water.

The FCERM Capital Projects Manager addressed the Cabinet advising that a meeting had been held with Wessex water on this issue, but that by separating the issues this part of  ...  view the full minutes text for item 7.

8.

Our Museum: Poole Museum Estate Redevelopment Programme pdf icon PDF 315 KB

1.     Poole Museum is undertaking a £7.7m redevelopment programme delivering capital improvements at the three historic buildings of the Museum Estate: Grade II listed Oakley’s Mill, and the Grade I listed medieval buildings the Wool Hall and Scaplen’s Court, as well as a programme of creative, cultural activity that will build and broaden audiences for the Museum.

2.     Poole Museum has successfully secured £4.4m third-party funds from three major public funds: an NLHF project grant, a Historic England High Street Heritage Action Zone (HSHAZ) grant, and the Public Sector Decarbonisation Scheme (Salix). Additionally, third-party funding has been secured from a range of national and local trusts and foundations (including Garfield Weston and the Fine Family Foundation).

3.     BCP’s contribution to date is £2.15m including: existing borrowing of £1.023m Prudential Borrowing (approved June 2021); the balance of £1.120m approved third-party partnership fundraising underwritten by borrowing of £645,000 (£475,000 already secured); and a £455,000 contribution has been made to date from CIL/S106.

4.     Costs have increased across the scheme as a result of a number of factors, but these include scope increase and national pressures on construction projects as a result of Covid and Brexit.

5.     This has resulted in a funding gap of £1.4m and accordingly, approval is now sought for acceptance of a grant from Historic England, additional Prudential Borrowing, and a further contribution from CIL.

 

Minutes:

The Portfolio Holder for Culture and Vibrant Places presented a report, a copy of which had been circulated to each Member and a copy of which appears as Appendix 'D' to these Minutes in the Minute Book.

Cabinet was advised that the Poole Museum is undertaking a £7.7m redevelopment programme delivering capital improvements at the three historic buildings of the Museum Estate: Grade II listed Oakley’s Mill, and the Grade I listed medieval buildings the Wool Hall and Scaplen’s Court, as well as a programme of creative, cultural activity that will build and broaden audiences for the Museum.

In relation to this Cabinet was advised that Poole Museum has successfully secured £4.4m third-party funds from three major public funds: an NLHF project grant, a Historic England High Street Heritage Action Zone (HSHAZ) grant, and the Public Sector Decarbonisation Scheme (Salix), and that additionally, third-party funding has been secured from a range of national and local trusts and foundations (including Garfield Weston and the Fine Family Foundation).

Cabinet was informed that BCP’s contribution to date is £2.15m including: existing borrowing of £1.023m Prudential Borrowing (approved June 2021); the balance of £1.120m approved third-party partnership fundraising underwritten by borrowing of £645,000 (£475,000 already secured); and a £455,000 contribution has been made to date from CIL/S106.

Further to this Cabinet was informed that costs have increased across the scheme as a result of a number of factors, but these include scope increase and national pressures on construction projects as a result of Covid and Brexit, and that this has resulted in a funding gap of £1.4m and accordingly, approval is now sought for acceptance of a grant from Historic England, additional Prudential Borrowing, and a further contribution from CIL.

The Portfolio Holder in presenting the report advised of an amendment on page 83, paragraph 29 of the report in relation to the visitor numbers where it says they have increased, the Portfolio Holder advised that this was an expectation and should read ‘will increase’.

Councillor Hadley addressed the Cabinet stressing that he hoped events would still be available to all and highlighting that he would hate to see the museum move to a position whereby events were ticketed and chargeable and not open to everyone.

RECOMMENDED that Council approves an increase in the capital budget of up to £1.41m for the Poole Museum Programme which is to be funded by: -

(a) Grant income of £0.23m from Historic England

(b) CIL funding of £0.5m

(c) Prudential Borrowing of £0.69m

Voting: Unanimous

Portfolio Holder: Culture and Vibrant Places

 

9.

Urgent Decisions taken by the Chief Executive in accordance with the Constitution

The Chief Executive to report on any decisions taken under urgency provisions in accordance with the Constitution.

Minutes:

Cabinet was advised that there had been one urgent decision taken by the Chief Executive in accordance with the Constitution to report on this occasion, this being: -

-       Acceptance of the Domestic Abuse grant for 2022-2023

Cabinet was advised that the decision had been published on the Council’s website.

 

10.

Cabinet Forward Plan pdf icon PDF 293 KB

To consider the latest version of the Cabinet Forward Plan for approval.

Minutes:

The Leader advised that the latest Cabinet Forward Plan had been published on the Council’s website.